Thursday, April 30, 2009

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Hello All,
Thank you all for your best wishes and concern for Baron's health. I am pleased to give you an update:

Baron returned home from the vet yesterday after an expensive week. Prior to being admitted, he attended the day spa at the Animal Hospital, receiving a honey wrap and hydrotherapy. However, after a painful (and this is not funny) weekend, with Baron howling in pain, he had emergency surgery last Monday, and stayed at the Animal Hospital for an entire week, which was not an inexpensive proposition. He returned home yesterday on tranquilizers, to ensure that: 1) he doesn't get too excited 2) he doesn't lick the incision necessitating another week or more at the Animal Spa.

I greeted Baron at the vet's expecting a subdued and tranquilized dog. He was tranquilized, but subdued? I don't think so. He greeted me warmly by jumping enthusiastically (with his 2 medical collars on). I said, "I thought he was tranquilized." The vet tech said, "He's just so happy to see you." He was also equally happy to see my patients, the landscaper, etc.

We were told to continue tranquilizing him until after his check-up on Thursday. While I had been blissfully thinking that a tranquil Baron might be something to consider long term, it's not what I expected. Here is a synopsis of Baron on tranquilizers:

1) Mad dash to the dog run (heaven forbid he should be let loose in the yard and re-injure himself) with a hope of running past the dog run (no way - too $$$$$ already). Pouncing enthusiastically on the snow, and barking while standing on hind legs to illustrate his point - GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!
2) Carefully extricating a squash from the counter and eating half of it. He sent his regards to the chef.
3) Escaping to the living room, his favorite site of mischief - no he couldn't chew on the intricately carved elephant tusk that belonged to my mother-in-law, Betty, he already did that. He did manage to knock over a picture frame and an antique snuff bottle that belonged to Betty (aha - could there be a connection?).
4) He accompanied me to the pet store because I heard about a new "Cone" to keep him from licking his incision. He managed to charge into the store, growl at a man who laughed at him (in his current fashion accessory - a plastic cone), and tried to grab a few treats along the way.

Worst of all, he has Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome! He was so traumatized by his medical situation, that he no longer remembers how to sit, stay, etc. We have had (up until now) 4 dog trainers (but who is counting) and he forgot everything!!! I am afraid to send him to overnight boot camp, because, in his weakened condition, he might become ill, or, even worse, jump on the trainer or a Chihuahua, and incur a law suit in addition to his other expenses.

Well, there you have it. Baron is back home - for better or worse. As for me - I am not, shall we say, as perturbed at his behavior as I usually am.

If anyone has any suggestions re: training of a poodle with Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome, let me know.
Love,
Botswain

December 2, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment