Thursday, April 30, 2009

Poodle Place in Shambles

Hi All,
You haven't heard from me in awhile because I've been overwhelmed. Why am I overwhelmed, you might ask? I'll be happy to tell you.

In the past week, Baron (aka Jaws) has been very busy, and has forgotten that he is not an actual little boy, but a dog, and a rather large dog. Here is what he has accomplished.

1) He knocked over (and broke) the jade sculpture which had been my mother-in-law's. To be fair, I already knocked it over and had just brought it home - repaired. Back to the Jeweled Elephant! Actually, they rather enjoyed the Baron stories I regaled them with when I was having my necklace (also damaged by you know who) repaired along with the sculpture.

2) I know this was an honest mistake which could happen to anyone (or any dog), but Baron mistook the beautifully hand carved ivory elephant tusk, which also belonged to my mother-in-law, for his bone. Fortunately Vance noticed this mistake, and it, too, goes to the Jeweled Elephant for repair. I think I will keep them on a retainer.

3) In his enthusiasm to eat his dog treats he knocked over his ceramic "cookie" jar, breaking it. Fortunately, this was not worth repairing, particularly because he does not deserve any treats. By the way, I was not home when he tried to help himself, and I know "boys will be boys".

4) He knocked over my favorite Noah's Ark cookie jar (human treats) given to me by my parents. Fortunately, this did not break, although I think there may be only one poodle on the arc!

5) I took Baron to the Farmer's Market (an obvious mistake). He does like other dogs, but doesn't realize how big he is and tends to threaten smaller dogs. Today, however, he went up to a Newfoundland. For my non dog friends, a Newfoundland is a very large dog that resembles a brown bear. The owner said he is very friendly. Baron playfully jumped at him and the Newfoundland growled. The owner said she never heard him growl before. I told her to stick around and she'll hear me growl!

5) I began to sound like - yes, my mother - and not in a good way. I recall all of the interrupted telephone conversations we had when Mom had Rocky, her beloved, huge and poorly trained until he was about 5 years old, German Shepherd. Here is how I sounded while on the phone with both my travel agent and the vet:

No, Baron (said sweetly).
BARON, NO!!! (Not said sweetly).
BARON, I'VE HAD IT!!! (Said in an unkind tone of voice).
BARON THAT IS IT!!! (Screamed in a shrill hysterical voice).

The vet had called to check on Baron's health after his recent ear infection etc., and instead heard about my emotional health (not good). He suggested neutering Baron immediately. I asked if he had to do it, or could I do it without using an anesthetic. Baron is 10 months old, and the breeder and another vet at the office both suggested waiting until Baron is 11 or 12 months old. Vance agrees with them - but more about that in another e-mail.

Let's look at the bright side - I should sleep well tonight - if Baron will leave room for me on the bed!

Botswain

September 10, 2008






--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment