Thursday, October 1, 2009

Baron - hyperactive?

Hi All,

I hope I am not jumping the gun here, but I think Baron might be hyperactive (ADHD). He has a hard time sitting still, especially when requested to do so. He has difficulty settling down (especially on the "down" command) and focusing his attention on important projects, such as dog obedience. When I gently request that he come, he refuses to do so unless food is involved. When playing with his friends, he tends to get out of control, and before you know it someone gets hurt and is crying (or growling). It doesn't matter what toys I put out, Baron has a hard time sharing. If I try to play with his toys, he runs over and tries to grab them right out of my hands - very unpleasant when you consider he uses his teeth to do so.

While I am not known for my skills at softball, on occasion I have tried to engage Baron in a friendly game of catch. While he lacks a mitt, he again, does have that mouth (you know - the one with all the teeth). He catches the ball quite well, and although unable to throw it back to me (oh no - does he have gross motor difficulties also?), he does manage to return the ball. He runs back to me with the ball in his mouth. My husband informed that this is not called softball, but "fetch" - no wonder softball was never my sport.

Baron loves to fetch the ball. It warms my heart to watch him run enthusiastically to the ball and bring it back to me. Of course I have to grab the ball out of the mouth of a moving target as he rushes past. Actually, I have become quite quick. Unfortunately, this game deteriorates into Baron deciding to pounce on me, not the ball. My enjoyment in this game wanes when 70 pounds of poodle hurtles himself at me. This is further evidence of ADHD, as, again, he loses interest in the task at hand and doesn't follow through.

Hey - does this sound familiar? Could Baron really be a male child cleverly disguised as a dog? After all, he does have my curly hair, and, I hate to brag, but also my sweet disposition!

I have checked with the veterinarian and there is no such thing as "doggie ritulin." This was a huge disappointment to me because I was hoping one pill would fix what is plainly a biological problem.

All for now, Baron is staring longingly at a china figurine.
Botswain

No comments:

Post a Comment