Saturday, October 3, 2009

Learning to Read

Hi All,

Baron wants to learn to read! Isn't he smart? I know, dear readers, you are doubting that even a dog as intelligent as a poodle would have an interest in reading. Set your doubts aside, it is true! How do I know this? In the past 2 weeks, Baron, discovering that he is unable to read small print (dogs' eyes do not function as ours do), has tried using my reading glasses. I guess he wants to be like me, what a compliment! Unfortunately, his fine motor skills are not very good (paws have their limitations), and he has crushed 2 pairs of my prescription reading glasses. Once he discovered he couldn't wear the glasses, his curiosity got the better of him. He wondered what glasses would taste like. I'm sure he thought of it as a scientific experiment: does one pair of glasses taste the same as another? As of yet, he has not shared his conclusions with me. I do admire his quest for knowledge.

I am considering getting Baron his own pair of reading glasses; I am certain he would then leave mine alone. First I will have to make an appointment with the canine opthamologist (yes, dear readers, there is such a thing).

Do you think I should forget about obedience classes and get Baron a reading tutor? In our area there are many dogs, who, with their humans, go to libraries and read to the children. I had always thought it was the humans who read the books, but maybe I got it wrong!
Intelligently yours,
Botswain

No comments:

Post a Comment