Tuesday, September 1, 2009

In the Swim

Hi All,
As many of you know, I love to swim. Swimming is not only good for us humans, and for certain water dogs (not Baron, he is prone to ear infections) but it can also benefit our equine friends (yep - I have one). You may recall that my equine friend is Lucy, a lovely quarter horse who, while still on the payroll, is not earning her keep. Lucy has a palmer fracture of her coffin bone (in her foot), which will heal, but needs 2-4 months of "stall rest." Two months have already passed, but who's counting? I was just told that swimming can keep her in shape while she is recuperating.

Unfortunately, Lucy's barn is not near a lake and doesn't have a swimming pool. Do not fret - I had an idea: Lucy could be hauled (as in trailer ride) to our neighborhood swimming pool. The pool is lovely, and the only restrictions involve rules for human guest swimmers and pool hours. I know of no restrictions for equine swimmers. This is soooooo exciting! Imagine, I am swimming in one lane at the pool and Lucy is in the next lane. I wear my bright blue swim cap and she wears a lovely cap covered in flowers (like from the 1950's), with holes cut out to make room for her ears; she wears ear plugs (large ones). I wear my mask, snorkel, and fins. Lucy wears floaties (in case she forgot how to swim). She already has orthopedic shoes, so we can save money and forgo the fins. I am psyched; this could be a wonderful Mommy/Mare Moment!

I just wanted to share my excitement about future swim opportunities. Don't you want to swim with us?
All for now,
Botswain

PS
How many lifeguards would it take to save Lucy if she has trouble swimming?

No comments:

Post a Comment