Monday, March 28, 2011

Dog Obedience Class

Hi All,
Baron's trainer (#6 - # 7 escaped) urged us to enroll Baron in a novice obedience class - one in which the dogs are preparing to compete in obedience trials (readers - stop laughing, it is rude!).  Baron attended his 1st class, and, quite frankly, I was surprised.
The dogs were asked to "stand" (a command he never learned), and Baron stood!  Next, he was asked to "stay".  The handlers (that would be me) were told to drop the leash and walk away.  I did so, and believe it or not - BARON STAYED!!!  Isn't that amazing?  I almost fainted.  He successfully did a "down stay" a "heel", "sit" etc.  The biggest problem was the figure 8.  The dogs are divided into groups of 3.  There are 2 "posts" composed of a dog and handler; the working dog has to walk a figure 8 around the other 2 dogs and handlers.  Baron was fine, but I have no sense of direction.  The woman with the 2 dachshunds had to point so I knew which way to go.  I need a navigator to walk down a hallway.
I was so proud of Baron!  He did a great job.  Baron's personal trainer (#6) is in the class with her dog, and she actually hugged me at the end of the class.  She said I was able to leave my "comfort zone" and attend class with Baron.  The words "Baron" and "comfort zone" don't belong in the same sentence.
Unfortunately, as soon as we entered the car after class, Baron started barking and whining and continued to do so until 5 am!  It was not a good night.  Trainer #6 explained that Baron was merely processing all that he encountered at his new class.  Boy, I can hardly wait for the next class - no sleep in our house!!!
That's all folks.
Botswain

No comments:

Post a Comment