Sunday, February 27, 2011

A bad day

Hi All,
Baron had a very bad day yesterday, which translates into my having a really bad day.  I took Baron to a field and let him off leash.  He was terrific; he ran around, got exercise and best of all, came when called.  Later, we went to another field, but Baron quickly made a beeline for the front yard of a nearby house.  He was enthusiastically sniffing around when a huge grey furry something jumped  out  (of a hole or pipe?) and climbed a tree the size of its new inhabitant.  Startled by the visitor, I handled this with my usual aplomb - I screamed.  I bravely investigated the grey animal from a safe distance and determined it to be a large cat, which obviously had claws.  I called Baron, and you can guess the rest. Of course he didn't come.  I ran toward the car and he waved good-bye - to me, not the cat.  He was busy.  I got in the car and started to drive away, when, in my rear view mirror, I saw Baron (the ingrate) running toward me.  He entered the car, and the misadventure was over.
I called his trainer (#6 in case you forgot), who said she hoped I rewarded him for coming.  Reward him?  I did reward him with a treat after informing him he was a bad dog.  Fortunately, Baron never hears that phrase and assumes it is another compliment.  The trainer seemed to think of all this was the fault of "yours truly", not Baron.  She explained that Baron is not ready to be off leash, regardless of what his previous trainer told me.  Of course this makes sense, even to me, but I thought previous successes would translate, and I guess that is not the case.
Baron feels vindicated and has requested that I get my own trainer.
All for now.
Botswain

No comments:

Post a Comment